Let's Get That Pending Article Published To The World
For Adverts and Enquiries
Phone: 234 809 803 8479
REPORT OF FAMILIARIZATION TOUR BY THE NBA NATIONAL 3RD VICE PRESIDENT, AMANDA DEMECHI ASAGBA, ESQ. OF THE SOUTH WESTERN STATES BRANCHES OF THE NBA.
DATE: 14TH-17TH DAY OF MARCH 2023.
STATES: EKITI, ONDO AND OSUN
TO FAMILIARISE WITH THE NBA BRANCH CHAIRMEN AND MEMBERS.
The NBA National Vice President Amanda Demechi-Asagba, Esq. with her entourage: Abiodun Kolawole Esq. ( Alias Iya Gani Fawehinmi of NBA Ikeja), Carol Obi Esq.( Treasurer NBA Lagos), and Oge Agbazue Esq.(NBA Ikeja) took a tour of the various NBA branches in the Western States among which are:
NBA Ikere Ekiti
NBA Ado Ekiti,
NBA Ikole Ekiti
We were unable to meet with Ile- Ife, Ilesa, Okitipupa, Ijebu- ode due to circumstances beyond our control on the earlier Scheduled dates. We plan to make it up to them on our next enroute Edo and Delta.
The VP informed them of Mr. President's desire to work in unison with the branches and reawaken their passion as Lawyers trained and equipped to be the voice of the people and the defender of the defenceless. To also hear from the Branches on areas of concern and necessary intervention, open good communication channels between the National and the Branches and need to give Lawyers welfare priority attention. She lamented the fact that many lawyers have been cowed and encouraged them to arise and take their rightful place in society and the need to go the extra mile to save our nation from the brink of collapse.
The Chairman of Owo Branch Oladele Oladejo Esq. took us to visit the palace of Olowo of Owo His Imperial Majesty Aleyeluwa Oba Dr. Ajibade Gbadegesin Ogunoye, III Of Owo, Ondo State, he is a Lawyer and a retired Permanent Secretary. He was very happy to receive us with very warm Royal Reception and we expressed the desire of the NBA to work with kabiyesi and appreciated him for his support of NBA Owo as we implored him to render more support to the NBA.
Condolence visit to the NBA Ado Ekiti Vice Chairman Shirley Atane who lost her husband on the 14th of March 2023
Condolence visit to the NBA Ondo branch who lost their former former secretary Nieller Makinde Esq. due to pregnancy complications. She was a consumate Bar man and a woman of passion and impact. May we rise for a 1 minute silence in hour of our late Colleague Nieller Makinde Esq.
May her precious gentle soul rest in perfect peace.
Providence took us to the door step of Hon. Justice Segun Ogunyemi in Ado Ekiti with his beautiful wife Dr. Mrs Ogunyemi whose hospitality was top notch.
All the branches visited expressed profound gratitude to the President for sending the 3rd Vice President AMANDA DEMECHI-ASAGBA, ESQ to meet with them.
Stating that " this is the first of it's kind….."
They expressed much hope and belief in the present NBA national administration.
1. Neglect of their branches in the selection of NBA NEC co-opted members.
2. Lack of adequate communication between the branches and the national body.
3. Lack of synergy with the national body as regards the insurance benefits of members, welfare of members generally, the gap in the earnings of members in different jurisdictions especially in the area of the expenses involved in NEC Meeting attendance by the Chairmen of the Branches
4. Lack of adequate Courtrooms and Judges and poor infrastructures. The Court rooms are so deplorable that when it rains the lawyers practically swim in the court rooms.
5. Need to regularise legal fees so as to ensure a healthy and suitable work atmosphere and economic empowerment for all lawyers.
6. They lamented the spate of police brutality, clamouring that the police be made to scrap the rule that lawyers drop their phones outside before entering the police station as the phone is their work tool and should not be deprived of the same.
7. They expressed the desire of the Branch to be consulted in the appointment of NEC Rep for their State as appointment of non active Bar men as NEC rep defeats the purpose of the appointment. A man that does not attend meetings of the Branch should not be appointed on the basis of personal association with the President/ Exco
8. They condemned the domination of the National Committees by a few branches in the constitution of the Committees. The re-appointment of some members consistently while some have never been given the opportunity calling for State and branch character in such appointments
9. Non subsidisation of NEC attendance expenses for smaller Branches and Branches in the rural areas
10. Non empowerment of the smaller branches by the National body and frown at the recommendation to close such branches rather than encourage them.
11. The improper use of stickers by lawyers and non lawyers should be banned and ban the production and sale of Bar Souvenirs by the public as this will help to weed out fake lawyers
12. Urgent need to tackle the issue of fake lawyers and fake stamp and sealin order to secure the image and integrity of the BAR. Nba Osogbo and NBA Ikirun are currently prosecuting some fake lawyers.
1. All the NBA branches were very happy with the visit as they said it brought home the NBA national to them, giving them a great sense of belonging.
2. They all expressed desire for at least one of their members to be added as member of the NBA National Committees.
3. We equally met a Colleague Okeya Ademola Esq a Chairman Emeritus of Ikole Ekiti Branch who sadly recounted how his son was killed in 2018 in Abuja same day he was called to bar and stated that NBA didn't do anything to assuage his pains.
Special thanks to NBA Ikorodu Branch Idris Kolawole Thany Esq. for his support in ensuring we had a hitch free tour. Same goes to the Chairman of Ikere Ekiti Dr. Michael Sunday Afolayan who also left no stone unturned to ensure our visit to Ondo State and his warm reception and hospitality with their Patron Chief Wole Olanipekun SAN and Chief Sanya Ayeni Esq. NBA is indeed a family. We also specially commend the chairman of Ondo Anthony Olagundoye Esq. and Ado Ekiti Lawrence Adetunji Fasanmi for their extraordinary care of the 3rd VP and her entourage. We are indeed grateful to all the Chairmen of the Branches visited for their warm reception. They all showed love and care. We love you all.
I hereby commend Mr. President for his sincere concern and desire to work in synergy with all the 128 branches of the NBA leaving no one behind.
It is hereby recommended that:
NBA should address these issues urgently to stop further arrest and brutality of colleagues carrying out their professional duties.
An official Communication to the Police Authority condemning the policy of stripping Lawyers of their phones while at the Police station and Police Command giving ultimatum to stop such invasion of privacy and infraction on our fundamental human rights and deprivation of our working tool
NBA should insist on police acting within its mandate and stop abuse and brutalization of our colleagues
All right Reserved